Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Sections
Personal tools
You are here: Home Forum General discussions about the crcns data sharing activity and website Updating data; common software repository

Updating data; common software repository

Up to General discussions about the crcns data sharing activity and website

Updating data; common software repository

Posted by admin at February 23. 2009

(Originally posted, March 20, 2008).

I will ask the question that probably others will have too, so not to repeat, you could answer it here:

If we update/add the data in the dataset, is the download page/links updated automatically, zip files are generated ..etc. Or one has to notify you when this happens?

Another question: since lot's of data being shared has common denominator in terms of analysis/processing (e.g. extracellular or intracellular recordings), would it be useful to generate a common software repository, where data owners and contributors who use the data could contribute their code/ideas/etc.. Those will be common for similar data types.

Anton

Re: Updating data; common software repository

Posted by admin at February 24. 2009

Originally posted: March 24, 2008.

Hi Anton,
When a data set is prepared for downloading, I create a "downloads" directory in the FTP area that the data contributor used to upload the data.  This "downloads" directory is named something like "crcns-xxx-downloads" (where "xxx" is replaced by an abbreviation for that data set; e.g. hc1).  Data contributors can access and change the contents of their "downloads" directory via the same FTP account used to upload data.  Any content put into the "downloads" directory will be immediately available for downloading.  zip files are not created automatically.  If content not in the "downloads" directory is updated, let me know what is changed and I will copy the new content into the directory (and create new zip files if appropriate).

About your second question (common software repository to share contributed code and ideas):  Thanks for the suggestion.  In the future we may do this.  Please let us know (by private email or the contact form) if there are any specific item(s) you think should be included in such a repository.

Also, please let us know if there are resources already on-line which should be added (linked to) from the "Other Resources" section of this site.

-Jeff

Previously wrote:

(Originally posted, March 20, 2008).

I will ask the question that probably others will have too, so not to repeat, you could answer it here:

If we update/add the data in the dataset, is the download page/links updated automatically, zip files are generated ..etc. Or one has to notify you when this happens?

Another question: since lot's of data being shared has common denominator in terms of analysis/processing (e.g. extracellular or intracellular recordings), would it be useful to generate a common software repository, where data owners and contributors who use the data could contribute their code/ideas/etc.. Those will be common for similar data types.

Anton