Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Sections
Personal tools
You are here: Home Forum Using data sets Re: hc3 - order of channels in .eeg file

Re: hc3 - order of channels in .eeg file

Up to Using data sets

Posted by Scott Cole at April 28. 2017

I'm analyzing the LFP recordings in some of the sessions in hc3. I'm a bit concerned about the channel order in the .eeg files. Are they always ordered such that the 1st 8 correspond to e1 (in the epos table in hc3-tables); the 2nd 8 correspond to e2, and so on? I don't see this specified anywhere, but I want to make sure I am not making a mistake.

I am concerned since the order of electrodes seems different in some of the xml files (I would have attached it but limited to very small images). In /gor01-6-7/2006-6-7_16-40-19 the channels are listed in order, but in /pin01-11-04/11-05_0-06-51, the channel listings are not in order (starts from channel 16).

Additionally, I understand that some sessions have electrodes missing. In this case, how would I know how the channels in the .eeg file correspond to each shank?

Further, are the contacts ordered from deep to superficial within each shank (as in crcns-hc2-shank_maps.pdf)?

Thanks for your time!

Posted by Scott Cole at May 24. 2017

I think the necessary information is in the .xml file provided with each recording. In the documentation, this file is described as the "configuration file used with neuroscope software (http://neuroscope.sourceforge.net)."

p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px Helvetica}

However, this xml file seems to have the information I'm looking for to parse the eeg data. I've written a script, attached, to output each eeg channel as separate mat files in a way that I'm reasonably confident reflects the true electrode configuration. But I can't say 100% confident because this xml file is not mentioned in the documentation with respect to the eeg files.

Attachments

Posted by Scott Cole at May 24. 2017

That script had a bug in it, so it didn't loop through channels properly. Correct script is attached.

Also, note that there are still some bad channels: e.g. from shank 9 (1-indexing) in rats ec013 (LFP is not good) and f01 (nothing in some of the clu files).

Attachments