Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Sections
Personal tools
You are here: Home Forum Using data sets HC-3 - Problems converting .whl and .res data to Seconds

HC-3 - Problems converting .whl and .res data to Seconds

Up to Using data sets

HC-3 - Problems converting .whl and .res data to Seconds

Posted by Dustin Fetterhoff at April 12. 2016

I am working with the HC-3 dataset and I am encountering some error when trying to get the timestamps of the spiking units and the position to match up in seconds.  In this example, I am using the file gor01-6-7/2006-6-7_11-26-53/2006-6-7_11-26-53

I import the timestamps of the units using this command in Matlab: [T, G, Map, Par]=LoadCluRes(fileName);

Since these timestamps are sampled at 20kHz, I converted to seconds by Tsec = T/20000;

I then load the position data: whl = load([fileName,'.whl']);

I then create a vector of sample times (based on 39.06 Hz sampling rate) from this vector with this code:

xStart = 0;

dx = 1/39.06;

N = length(whl);

positionSampling = xStart + (0:N-1)*dx;

In the end, my Tsec vector reaches 4381.8 seconds but the positionSampling vector only reaches 3038.4 seconds.  This is a difference of 1343 seconds or 22 minutes.  Was the spiking data recorded for 22 minutes longer than the position data?  Is there an offset between the beginning of the spike train acquisition and the position acquisition that I am missing something? Or is my conversion to seconds incorrect somewhere?

Re: HC-3 - Problems converting .whl and .res data to Seconds

Posted by admin at April 15. 2016
The sampling rate for gor01 is 32,552Hz not 20k Hz.  This is given at the top of document "crcns-hc3-processing-flowchart.pdf".  Thanks to Kamran Diba (responded by email).

Posted by Dustin Fetterhoff at April 19. 2016

Thanks, I can now see this information in both locations you specified.  If I then calculated Tsec = T/32552 and compute the position in the same way, I find that the positionSampling vector is still 5.7 minutes longer than the last spike time in Tsec.  Would it make sense that the electrophysiology recordings were stopped this long before the position recording?

Posted by Kamran Diba at April 26. 2016

The video sampling rate for GOR (as well as VVP and PIN) was 60 Hz.  This is the likely reason for the difference you observe.