Sections
Personal tools
You are here: Home Forum Using data sets pfc-2 CellInfo

pfc-2 CellInfo

Up to Using data sets

pfc-2 CellInfo

Posted by Ines Guerreiro at November 01. 2022

Hi everyone,

I would like to start by thanking everyone who has contributed to this data sharing platform, and in particular to Fujisawa et al for making their data available in such a well-documented way!

Being my first time handling raw data, I have a bit of a naive question regarding the pfc-2 data set; I'm a bit confused with the format of the clu.# and spikeind. When considering session EE.188, the clu.1-8 files shows a list of indices that varies from 1-46 and the spikeind file a list of indices from 3-77. In fact, in almost every session it seems like there is a unit indexed as '1' with a much higher firing rates than other units. Is there a reason for unit 1 to always have a high firing rate, and why does spikeind not consider units 1 and 2?

I apologize if it is obvious or if I misunderstood something.

Thank you in advance for your time!

All the best,

Ines

Re: pfc-2 CellInfo

Posted by Shigeyoshi Fujisawa at November 01. 2022

Hi Ines,

Thank you for contacting us.

Units indexed as '1' in clu.# were noisy units, and those were not identified as single units (i.e., multi units). That is the reason that the firing rate was higher than others. Spikeind omitted units that were indexed as '1' in clu.#.

Spikeind concatenated clu.1 to clu.8. You may think that the number of indices of spikeind is different from the sum of the number of indices of clu.1 to 8; This is because there were several missing numbers of indices in clu.#. Spikind renumbered the indices with removing missing numbers.

(I forget the reason spikeind did not consist unit 2; maybe '2' was the missing number in clu.1, then the index of spikeing started from 3.)

In sum, I think that using 'spiket' and 'spikeind' is more single than using 'res.#' and 'clu.#', although these include the same information.

Best,

Shige

Re: pfc-2 CellInfo

Posted by Peter Petersen at November 02. 2022

Hi unit 0 and 1 is noise and MUA (multi unit activity), so they should not be included in the further spike extraction.