Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Sections
Personal tools
You are here: Home Forum Using data sets vim-2: Mapping fMRI data from volume to surface

vim-2: Mapping fMRI data from volume to surface

Up to Using data sets

vim-2: Mapping fMRI data from volume to surface

Posted by Junxing Shi at May 24. 2015
Three questions:
1. How can I project the fMRI data to surface as shown in the paper: Reconstructing Visual Experiences from Brain Activity Evoked by Natural Movies?
2. Some regions of inter, ex: FFA, were not provided in the indexing file. Is it because these areas were not included?
3. Are the three subjects' dataset in the MNI space? Because when I check the files, it seems like they were not aligned consistently.

Thank you very much!

Junxing Shi

Re: vim-2: Mapping fMRI data from volume to surface

Posted by Natalia Bilenko at June 09. 2015

Greetings,

The answers are below. Please let me know if anything is unclear.

Cheers,

Natalia Bilenko, Gallant Lab.

Previously Junxing Shi wrote:

Three questions:
1. How can I project the fMRI data to surface as shown in the paper: Reconstructing Visual Experiences from Brain Activity Evoked by Natural Movies?

We used FreeSurfer (http://freesurfer.net/) to create the brain surface from the anatomical files included in the dataset. We then aligned the functional data manually using Pycortex (http://pycortex.org/), our lab's surface visualization software. The data can also be aligned using other fMRI analysis software, including FreeSurfer.

2. Some regions of inter, ex: FFA, were not provided in the indexing file. Is it because these areas were not included?

Yes, since the scanning volume was limited mostly to the occipital lobe, FFA was not spanned by the scanning volume in some of the subjects.

3. Are the three subjects' dataset in the MNI space? Because when I check the files, it seems like they were not aligned consistently.

No, all data are in the native anatomical space for all subjects. FreeSurfer can be used to remap the data from native to MNI space.

Thank you very much!

Junxing Shi